In the waste management sector, health and safety is an area of business that must be afforded the utmost respect.
The Health and Safety at Work Act requires the employer to prepare, and as often as may be appropriate revise, a written statement of the general policy with respect to health and safety at work of employees. Regional Waste Management's health and safety statement has been prepared in accordance with the requirements of the legislation and includes details of the organisation and arrangements. for the time being in force, for carrying out the policy.
Health, safety and welfare at work are matters of vital concern to Regional Waste Recycling. We will as far as is practicable:
- Provide a healthy and safe working environment.
- Conduct suitable and sufficient assessments of the risks to the health and safety of employees to which they are exposed at work, and to persons not in their employment in so far as they may be affected by the work activities.
- Initiate and operate healthy and safe working practices, monitor working areas, processes and methods in order to improve, wherever reasonably practicable, standards of health, safety and welfare.
- Train employees to work efficiently and safely with an understanding both of the nature of known hazards and the reasons for preventive measures.
- Provide procedures whereby a prompt and positive response is made to queries on health, safety or welfare matters raised by employees.
- Provide adequate arrangements for communication and consultation between management and employees on health and safety matters.
- Provide the resources necessary to implement policy.
Not all responsibility for health and safety rests with management. Each employee has a duty to co-operate with the employer on the carrying out of the employer's statutory duties and must:
- Take reasonable care for the health and safety of himself and other persons who may be affected by his acts or omissions.
- Not intentionally or recklessly interfere with or misuse anything provided in the interests of health, safety or welfare.
- report immediately any injury sustained at work and any practice or situation regarded as unsafe.